Tuesday 16 October 2012

White Cube Gallery in Bermondsey London

After I indulged in cheese, wine and fresh gnocchi from Borough Market I decided to go an check out the new White Cube Gallery in Bermondsey which is enclosed in a gated compound. I have been shocked at how big, modern and sleek it is then the Hoxton Gallery but with a glamour element. I felt they made a great use of the space considering that it was a 1970 warehouse but that it is geared for the time being more towards wealthy clients business ( I saw some private rooms) & a young audience then being an educational organisation. There is a library which made me think they will eventually go towards promoting educational events but I think if they want people to hang around they need to put some seating space  in the exhibition rooms and a cafe'. Also the stuff needs to be more involved with the public as they seem more involved with themselves then the public. When I went inside the gallery I was not greeted by anybody, the same in the exhibition rooms. The galleries seem to be mainly staffed by male art graduates I didn't see anyone from a minority or a local and the only woman there was was the lady in reception maybe I went on the wrong day I don't know...
The exhibition I saw was on the cerebral side titled Structure and Absence which included Andreas Gurky- Gabriel Orozco-Robert Ryman. I think White Cube definitely ads a glamour element & more art to Bermondsey & to London but I am not sure how much the locals who live in the council flats near the gallery will even know or enjoy the space. It's like the tale of two London's the successful, wealthy business venture and the poor who can't afford much.

No comments:

Post a Comment