Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Drawing Room in Bermonsdey

 

The Drawing Room it's located in an industrial estate ( this kind of gives away it's a non-profit public gallery that shows contemporary drawings). I had  to ring a bell to get in , it's not well signed posted. I did find it a bit hard to find at first but It was worth it when I finally got there as the lady running the gallery was warm friendly informative she encouraged me to look around and ask questions  completely different atmosphere from White Cube more intimate & welcoming.
So I didn't feel the building the estate impacted badly on the Gallery I guess they are there to keep gallery costs down.The exhibition






 Paul Sietsema explores how imagery and material affects our understanding of culture. He makes drawings, sculptures & then films them. He compares the original image with ideas. On the left four series of Sailboat drawings Calendar boat 1,2,3 and 4 that he duplicated and made the image in reverse. Their repeated frames made me think of stasis which can be found in structuralist films. He doesn't do completed sketches  but instead he looks at the relationship between material, form and imagery and then he adds film to pull things together such as Telegraph 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment