Friday 26 October 2012

Sadie Coles Raymond Pettibon


 In The Sadie Coles Gallery in Mayfair I saw the exhibition of Raymond Pettibon: comic like drawings, collages made with Indian ink with a stark effect black and white. His drawings, collages are filled with a variety of characters male and female (semi naked) & ironic text criticising American mainstream culture (Hollywood, fame etc) with an anti-authoritarian and anti-establishment feel to them. They are very different from traditional comics due to the aggressive content of his work and also that's why his work feels so contemporary. Looking at my own comics I found interesting that he makes large comic like drawings I think I should bring this element into my work not to make it restricted to one format, make it bigger and experiment with blank ink as well.
I have seen his work before at the Hayward Gallery and I feel that his work stood out more at the Hayward Gallery, where it had been better curated they only chose a limited selection of his work and it was mixed with other art work of a different variety from other artists. In Sadie Coles both the up stair Gallery space and the basement space have been filled with his work and I found it after a while it got repetitive and kind  of lost meaning there was to much of  it on display and I felt this weakened the 'punk rock' aggressive content of his art work which is a pity. I think they should have mix it with other more colourful type of his art work.
About Sadie Coles in Mayfair is an upmarket gallery and if we compare it  with White Cube in Bermondsey with out the glamour effect but situated  in one of the most expensive areas (Mayfair) in London. We had to ring a bell to get in, the gallery assistant was brief  & gave us a leaflet about the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment