Wednesday 24 October 2012

Thomas Schutte at The Serpentine Gallery

The Serpentine Gallery  locaded in Kensington Gardens in Hyde Park in tranquil beautiful surroundings and they exhibit contemporary art. Unfortunately they didn't have a cafe' I think a new pavilion might be build soon to house a cafe maybe for the Christmas. One can not sit around in the galleries either and I didn't find members of staff friendly I was told not to take pictures and I wasn't even inside the main gallery.

I went and see the exhibition by Thomas Schutte I found that his sculptural pieces worked better that his watercolours. The sculpture pieces  had a physicality to them that it seemed lacking in the watercolours.One of the sculptural piece called the Father State located in the centre of the gallery  was a  tall  rusting steel, detailed and imposing,  representing political leaders and their hollowness(the gown looked bodiless underneath) it was surrounded by photographs of angry, hurt faces reflecting on the persecution of repressive regimes. All the sculptures on display where figurative and he seems to have keen interest in the portrayal of power but then to make a caricature out of them by exaggerating physical features and facial gestures.
The watercolours portraits made in series  where made with minimalist simple lines so I could not distinguish between one portrait and the other they all looked the same so I didn't feel I could engage longer with them as there was really nothing to hold on to visually they seemed more like preparatory drawings then finish pieces even if they where presented as finish pieces. 
Also I was wondering if the only self portrait in the gallery of the artist was done in a quick way just for the gallery it looked unfinished and simplistic (check below) but lacking of a substantial meaning for being so simplistic same with the watercolours thought they looked good on the catalogue as they had been photographed at really close range. I could not distinguish one portrait from the other while standing in the gallery.While I was looking at them I was thinking what's the point of making portraits of your friends if you make them look the same he could have just done one?!

No comments:

Post a Comment