Thursday 27 February 2020

My sculptures made of discarded objects found in the river Thames.

I managed to move across London even when we were getting hit by storm Ciara to work on  an art project, I have plenty of determination. I was glad to get back all in one piece though. Central London was half deserted including the underground, which was lovely, while the homeless were sheltering inside the entrance of the tube station. I had to avoid several junkies while I was getting back, poverty has been hitting more people.
During my MA I worked with found objects & photography, recently objects found in the River Thames. I turn them into sculptures, giving them a new meaning and new lease of life.  I was amazed by the wide ranging selection of discarded objects from glass to plastic objects, to tennis balls to baby items, also highlighting the high levels of junk thrown into the river, thinking about what happens to waste, questioning our consumeristic society. How waste retains (especially plastic) or loses some of its structure and the impact of this on our environment, but also how it can be reused putting discarded products into new use. 







1 comment:

  1. Am struck by a determined artist creating art while braving the elements. And how there is poverty even though so much is thrown away.

    Am taken by the idea of objects taking on "new meaning" through your art here. There is upcycling and recycling happening simultaneously. The objects' value increases through your artworks here - the Gestalt idea that the whole is more than the sum of the parts. Am struck the works involving glass; the first reminds me of medical apparatus, while the second promotes the concept of balance between disparate found items. The third to me seems to symbolise the earth balanced precariously, mirroring the current state of the climate.

    I come away with hope, though, that new ideas and new creations can come from old ones if care is taken.

    ReplyDelete