Monday 23 August 2021

Margate Art School Exhibition - part of Margate Pride and My Black and White Photographs of My Experience of the Pandemic.

August so far is going well, I am enjoying the mild temperatures and the daily grey weather, I have been able to get a lot of work done, painting, filming and participating in The Margate School Exhibition Red Flags II - Flags for Queertopias part of Margate Pride. I am really happy that it actually did happen unlike London Pride that was cancelled, which was surprising. I was also included to present  a voice piece, soundscape for Margate Radio as part of the show. So many exhibitions, events have been cancelled this year due to the pandemic, there are a fraction of opportunities as prior to the pandemic, with venues shut for so long. So it was great to participate with others in Margate Pride and show work at the Margate School; below is the link and photographs. The project was to create my own flag for my isolation island, my own Queertopia in the tradition of Pride and to conceptualize the lockdown experienced as an island. My flag is the last one on the right-hand side (see photos below). I have to thank Lo Lo No (Alex Noble) the curator for including me in the project exhibition.


Poster designed by Lo Lo No (Alex Noble)




Red Flags II - Margate School Exhibition

Throughout the pandemic and the lockdowns I managed to take some black and white photographs as a way to keep creative, busy and to show the different stages of the pandemic as a visual record of what was happening. I experimented with different cameras; photos are not taken with the same camera (see photos below).
The first photo below was taken during lockdown; cafe empty, no staff, no customers. This cafe in normal times is teeming with people queuing to get in and get a pastry, coffee and lunch. It was surreal seeing it so empty for month after month.


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2020

In the second photograph below  is a photo booth that was forgotten and left open to use during part of the lockdown, I managed to take a photo of it before  they actually realized it was there and useable. It was completely removed soon after the photo was taken while I was going to do my shopping at the supermarket.

Photo by Mirta imperatori 2020

The photo below was taken during lockdown while I went to buy essentials at the supermarket. An empty shopping centre which is usually busy with people. It was all very strange seeing it so empty, almost apocalyptic.

Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2020


During the pandemic because we  were all being told to stay at home, hardly anybody used their cars, so dust accumulated on top of the bonnet of the cars. I took the photo after one of the lockdowns when things where slowly reopening, I don't think they drove the car for a year or more.


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2020

Random acts of kindness by locals leaving herbs, plants or books for people to take with them. Just seeing this small act of kindness cheered me up on my walk. A stranger, someone that was thinking of others, reaching out during these trying times.


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2021

At the local centre I went to volunteer to clear things that had been there for months. Below is a photo of glasses that had stayed wrapped and unused throughout the year.


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2020

In this photo what I found ironic was the juxtaposition of the sign Dreams in contrast to all the signs
on the same door about social distancing which hints at the nightmare we have been stuck in for a while. I have never seen so many signs put on the doors of every shop, library, college, offices, banks, bus stop all repeating the same things, telling you what to do. The Government and their warnings all over town. Prior to the pandemic you hardly heard from the Government, there where no posters anywhere telling you what to do, no televised daily briefings, now the Government suddenly was ever so present in your daily life - something you didn't miss, and you will be left wondering will this ever end?


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2020

After the lockdown finally, when we arrived to the summer and it was declared officially 'Freedom Day' by our great leader Boris. I was allowed to move out of my area for the first time with my friend and we went to the seaside. It was beautiful to see the sea,  the open space and to be able to walk around in a different area, to see people, different shops open and to sit near the beach while having fish and chips with our favourite drinks. It was exhilarating; we both felt emotional, like we were doing it for the first time. We were both glad to be still alive.

Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2021


After freedom day I was also able to go and see another musician friend of mine and have a chat and cup of tea and tea cake in her house, in the garden. I took a photo of the hand towels; weirdly I missed them and a beautiful flower. I missed being with my friend and her flowers.


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2021


Photo by Mirta Imperatori 2021

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is a good example of documenting a visual and written social history of the pandemic. So much of our everyday life has changed forever. The poignant photo of the empty Photo-Me booth that later disappeared; the original Selfie machine now overtaken in the age of the mobile Selfie and its end no doubt hastened by the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the difference between the black and white lockdown photographs and the colour, present ones, striking. Worlds apart. Even though things are moving more slowly than usual I am glad things are getting back to normal with your flag for the Margate School. I like the collaboration and was touched that this existed even in lockdown with the 'Help Yourself' box. I liked your diverse black and white lockdown photographs, even the Dreams one, because it shows what we all have come through to get to this point. It's great that you have managed to remain productive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly liked the monochrome photos of the cafe and shopping-mall. Both have a starkness to them that brings to mind the unnatural silence of the lockdowns.

    ReplyDelete