Thursday 9 May 2013

Marcel Duchamp, Rauschenberg and Johns at the Barbican.

I have been to several exhibitions since I have been back at Uni.
I mean it's part of my course to go and see as many exhibition I can.
Today I went and see the exhibition called; the Bride and Bachelors which is titled after Duchamp's
work 'The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even ( The Large Glass) of 1915-23.
                                                                     
Bicycle Weel by Duchamp original done in 1913 by Duchamp
 Duchamp changed drastically what we think of as art  when he mounted a bicycle wheel on a kitchen stool which is shown in the exhibition and which I found to be irreverent and playful, the artist as provocateur more then a proficient ultimate creator with his  assisted ready made object repositioned by him, he turned meaning of art upside down using more then one utilitarian object to form a  work of art he chose the different components without keeping beauty in mind. It also shows is interest in kinetic energy, his interest in pointless motion, it moves constantly but it is rooted in the same point and it makes you want to spun it some say that it can be compared to sexual action. Duchamp pushed others to think differently he encourage them to play and think for themselves and not exactly like him but I do the same in my art work. As far as I know initially Duchamp didn't want to show this specific art work or other ready mades to the public .
There was so much to explore in the exhibition but sadly due to the deem  lighting  combined with a loud performance which really disoriented me and made it really difficult for me to actually focus on the different works & combined with loud music it made me want to run for the hills. I only stayed briefly in the exhibition the performance was to painful! I did find it interesting thought that Duchamp was painting instead then on a canvas on large sheets of glass but I had seen this work also in Italy under natural light which was much better. Over all I think I preferred the upper level of the exhibition where there was a combination of Duchamp, Rauschenberg and Johns work next or opposite each other and I was far away form the dreadful sounds that where coming from the floor below. I mean Rauschenberg, combination, of using photographic images onto textile combined with cardboard paper and or comics it's impressive in their variety.
                                                                       
Robert Rauschenberg Bride's Folly1959
Marcel Duchamp Fountain 1917 original-replica 1950
Rauschenmberg used found materials from the street and created collages that blurred the boundary between painting and sculpture using varied materials such as wood, stone, twine, steal spikes etc. Minute it's a large freestanding combines it constructed for dancer Merce Cunnigham.
 I especially liked Music Box as it allowed past viewers to participate in the shaking of the box so allowing the stones inside the box to move against protruding nails so creating a rearrangement of the different parts inside of the box while producing a sound. I think with this specific work Rauschenberg was referring to Duchamps sculpture With Hidden Noise.

Robert Rauschenberg Minutie 1954
Robert Rauschenberg Music Box 1953

I did find interesting Johns use of black inks on plastic sheets while two of his large paintings done simply using lines to resemble moving human form, bold colourful but I appreciated the brightens off it more from far away then close up I could see so much more of the paintings from the other side of the room then close up.
                                                                         

Dancers on a Plane by Jasper Johns 1979-1978

Dancers which represents dancing forms on the canvas the marks show the rhythmic nature of the Cunnighman Dancers.

Other pieces included in the exhibition I had already seen such targets, numbers, objects that the mind already recognise, knows like the painting Figure 8
Figure 8 by Jasper Johns
which I have always found to be dead boring (yes I know they are impersonal images of flags in this case the number 8 which is painted in an ordinary way) but Jasper Johns has other paintings which are much better then this one on display. I have always preferred his painting titled Diver 1962 which wasn't on show due to fact that it shows more is multilevel approach where he transforms: letters, numbers erased by colour and flat shapes which gives the piece a whole new dimensionality. I mean Jasper Johns through Diver gives a practical demonstration of John Alber's theory of colour relativity as he shows the spatial ambivalence of colour, the interplay of passing forces, the combination of dissimilar images instead of variations on a single theme he combined different ideas not a singular motif like for example in Seurat paintings or Cezanne all of this you can see in Diver below.
Diver 1962 by Jasper Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment