Thursday 1 November 2012

Tate Modern:Tino Sehgal

Tino Sehgal performance art or 'constructed situations' are only done in the present time and he mainly uses the body (movement, interaction,human voice) to interact with the audience or the space around.
My friends that came with me to view the performance found this quite confusing they couldn't understand what was going on or where the performance was as there was no description of it any where and I tried to explain to them that's was the whole point of it but they still couldn't get it. So I would say that Tino Sehgal work is not for everybody even if requires the physical participation of the viewer but that is if the viewer understands what's going on or where the performance is taking place. I managed to have a conversation ( more it was listening to the performer's monologue about their personal life) so on some level we should have connected but I actually felt it was staged and contrived didn't feel genuine so it failed to involve me on this level thought I did find it more interesting when observing from afar when the group was singing yes so I was involved on some level then but not terribly excited as it felt really staged.The work of art can only be experienced if you are actually present but he does charge the Tate £50.000 to have it reenacted.He focuses on the physical evidence of the performance so one can not document the event but only remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment